Shocking though it is to believe, yet more progress has been made today! I went down a bit later than intended and got a resounding telling off from the chickens.
The chickens fed and watered, I set off determined to make inroads into the weeds. I managed to clear a good section of the bottom of the plot, just before the fruit trees. Many, many buckets of weeds later, the chicken coop was full of weeds and the ground outside was considerably clearer.
I had a further check on Molly and her chick to find them happy and cheerful. Her comb is still not good but her head is looking better thanks to the care of Cliff and Geoff.
Eventually, I gave up, beaten by the heat and unrelenting sun (something I never thought that I would write as a British person!)