Today I ambled down to the allotment determined to start sorting the greenhouse properly as well as clearing the weeds clogging the bottom of the plot.
I arrived to hear the tea bell going. It seemed churlish to refuse the offer of a biscuit and a chat, so I joined the others by the clubhouse.
After the tea break, I set off to feed the chickens. They started to shout at me before I had walked halfway down the length of the plot. Chickens fed and watered, I decided to tackle the weeds growing along the length of the path that divides our plot from Phil’s.
Next, I moved on to the greenhouse. We removed the glass in the roof several weeks ago due to structural issues. Mick the Greek helped prop up the side that was unstable with a wooden support bolted into the greenhouse frame. We have since noticed the roofline is dipping and we have put in a prop in the centre to level out the roof. In the next couple of weeks, I plan to clean the glass and rope in my other half to put all the glass back in so it’s a functioning greenhouse again!
I spent quite a while excavating the items in the greenhouse and removing them before getting lost in the jungle of mares tail and bindweed. It took a while but I think the result looks good although there is still more work to do.
I pottered down to the fruit section and started to weed around the boxes. Fortunately, the blackberries are a thornless variety which means I escaped being entirely scratched to death. I also found a grassy patch near the greenhouse shield and weeded out the offending flora.
The main part of the plot needs a good hoeing which is my plan for tomorrow afternoon. And to sort the shed if I am brave enough to deal with several massive spiders who reside in there. If you hear a blood curdling scream tomorrow afternoon, you will know I have come across Aragog and will be sprinting away at a speed that would make Usain Bolt look slow!